Monday 14 March 2016

Design Progress Presentation

So as the Art Director, my role is to design and create the overall look of the Animation. From the Character designs, the backgrounds, colour schemes etc. First of all I took all of our mood boards and used them as a base to work from...





I used the only illustration of Thomas Pellow I could find, as a reference for my character design. I also really liked the way Amid had drawn Pellow, within the story board, so I tried not to stray too far from his design...


Below is my colour version of Thomas Pellow in traditional Moroccan wear:



As Amid had been my starting point for my Character design of Pellow, I asked him to do a quite sketch of random bystanders. Just incase we needed any other characters, and also just for background characters. I then did turn around sheets of them, and later added colour...

Adding the colours (and random seagull): 

Our main influence for the style of the Moroccan scenes, was based on the Animation, 'The Adventures of Prince Achmed'. I created some swatches and gradient backgrounds, whilst Naomi has been working on the silhouette cut outs:  


These four backgrounds were illustrated by Jack. Although in the actual animation they won't be in black and white. It's beginning to give an idea of how things will look/be illustrated throughout. I have also added a small variety of swatches, which shows we will be using very cool tones. Mainly blues, greys, dark greys and whites...

Finally, this is my most recent much up of part of a background within Penryn. Using primarily the cool tone colours, with an exception of the fruit (Which works in the fact that Pellow has a flashback at this point. And sound combines with colour, are two important factors to help the storyline, other than the narration itself). This took me way longer than we have time for, if we wanted the whole animation done in this style. However, it was more to get an idea of how the colours work. Now I will work on simplifying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment